Our vision is to be a loving, inclusive, and inviting community in Christ.
To bring our vision into reality, we embrace the future of an ever-changing community by building loving, authentic connections; developing faith through worship and the study of God’s Word; cultivating diversity; caring for others; advocating for justice in our community, nation, and Earth.
We strive to be faithful to God’s calling with:
● Respect, compassion, and kindness
● Gratitude and humility
● Education and personal development
● Ethics, justice, and tolerance
● Commitment to truth, honesty, and transparency
● Loving encouragement and positive attitude
● Service to church and community
1945 – Rev. Albert Alsop arrives in Tucson to assess the viability of new Lutheran congregation. Within a few weeks of riding bicycle door-to-door he gathers 13 people and 8 children for the first worship service on May 13, 1945 at the YWCA. They then purchase the lot at Campbell and Helen streets for $3,500.
November, 1945 - November, 1950 – Rev. Titus R. Scholl.
1946 – Our Saviour’s outgrows the meeting space at the YWCA and moves to the Roskruge Junior High auditorium.
1947 – Groundbreaking takes place on September 28, 1947.
1948 – The first chapel (now called Koch Chapel) is built at Helen and Campbell, and worship is held.
1949 – The Sunday school outgrows the chapel space, and a second branch Sunday school is held at Ft. Lowell and Country Club roads.
January, 1951 - April, 1959 – Rev. George A. Spindt.
1956 – Membership grows to 1100 people, with 500 in Sunday School. The main sanctuary is built.
January, 1960 - March, 1967 – Rev. William S. Dion.
1965 – The Activity Building, which now houses Sunday school, is built. The congregation grows and the balcony is expanded to accommodate the increase in worship attendance. A Sunday school is arranged with the Arizona School for the Deaf and Blind, and 12 classrooms of kids are bused in weekly.
June, 1967 - December, 1975 – Rev. Richard M Langsdale
1973 – Our Saviour’s continues expansion in central Tucson, adds several adult Bible studies and grows music ministries.
July, 1976 - September, 1978 – Rev. Ernest Lineberger.
September, 1978 - October, 1993 – Rev. Ronald J. Lavin.
1979 – Rev. Ron Lavin becomes senior pastor and starts several new initiatives including small group ministry, evangelism conferences, a center for the homeless on campus, partnerships with University of Arizona students, and remodeling of the main sanctuary.
October, 1994 - July, 2004 – Rev. James Lundeen.
1994 – Rev. Jim Lundeen becomes senior pastor. Our Saviour’s continues to expand its ministries and facility, and adds a contemporary worship at 11:15am on Sundays.
July, 2004 - August, 2013 – Rev. Marilyn Ascarza.
2004 – Rev. Marilyn Ascarza, the associate pastor since 1997, takes over as senior pastor.
October, 2014 - April, 2020 – Rev. Jeff Kallevig
2014 – Rev. Jeff Kallevig becomes the senior pastor, working to revitalize the music and outreach ministries. The congregation also began the process of developing the south property in partnership with the neighborhood, the city and community.
2020 – OSLC is in a time of transition. Pastor Jeff Kallevig leaves in April. Pastor Rebecca Boardman (U of A) temporarily serves as interim pastor over the summer. In September, Interim Pastor Len Hoffmann (Illinois) and Pastor Martha Neff Stum as worship leader are welcomed.
June - October, 2021 – Pastor Martha Neff Stum becomes Interim Bridge Pastor upon Pastor Len's departure.
November, 2021 - Rev. Amalia Vagts becomes pastor of OSLC. We welcome Pastor Amalia.
TODAY – Our Saviour’s continues its mission - being Christ-centered community through faith and action in the heart of Tucson. Welcome!